Tuesday 25 May 2010

Keswick Mountain Festival

Dipping my toe into my first ever Open Water event, I headed over to The Lakes this weekend for the Keswick Mountain Festival.



The weather was amazing.. the water temperature was a positively tropical 16 degrees on the saturday and then a slightly chillier 12-13 degrees on the sunday. The atmosphere was brilliant and i am SO relieved that i loved the swim... or else the Channel Swim would have been taking on an even more terrifying form than it is already!

Because of algae the course was changed 3 times, and i had NO idea where i was going thanks to the slight delay in the organizers putting out a second buoy to swim around... but a bit of audience participation (spectators shouting at me and frantically pointing!) I got back on track and finished the mile swim feeling comfortable and not too cold!

I even jumped back in to go round again to help out my new friend Martin, who wanted to have a go at swimming it without his wetsuit and needed a buddy to go with him!

Here are some photos from the weekend!



...trying to 'work' the cap and goggles combo...



... trying to remember how to swim...



... personal trainer on hand to offer support and directional shouting...



...and i'm done!

No comments:

Post a Comment