Tuesday 7 December 2010

Technique Tuesday

So I've learnt how to swim all over again and my goodness it feels great - what a revelation! I'm pulling differently under the water and my recovery above the water involves a much longer glide. It's hard work and I'm going to have to practise my new technique for a good few weeks before it starts to feel natural. The most obvious difference is in the increase in forward thrust that I'm able to generate which consequently means faster and more controlled swimming - no more lollapping from me!

So this morning's drills involved lots of skulling. Firstly on my front using just my hands with my arms straight in front of me, followed by the same again but with bent elbows and arms at 90 degrees, followed by alternate arms pulling straight past my thighs and then putting it all together in the form a super powerful doggy paddle. Sounds crude but very effective and bloody knackering! There are of course some key descriptors which I have to keep repeating whilst attempting my knew pull technique and these are pop, push and glide.....pop, push, glide....pop, push glide and so on and so on..............who said swimming was boring. NOT ME!

So tomorrow is reinforcement Wednesday - no Nick tomorrow so I'm planing to put in a solid non stop hour swim and use my new technique for at least one 25m in every 100m. Anyone fancy joining me?

No comments:

Post a Comment