Sunday 17 April 2011

The Big Swim .....part 2



Another Saturday morning swim and my goodness it was rather long! Kate decided that we would up the distance from 2 one hour swims to 2 one and half hour swims just to give our endurance a bit of a test. So we entered the water at 8.15am and started swimming. An hour went by fairly quickly and I glanced at my watch which read 1.01 indicating only 29 minutes to go and my god they were the longest 29 minutes of my life - it was all getting rather boring by this stage. However, our strokes were strong, energy levels were good - it's just the mental battle we both seem to go through. In fact at one point I seemed to slip into a swimming type coma and was rudely awoken by Kate turning on top of me - no injuries sustained!

Anyway the hour rest was well deserved and we sampled some more energy delights. I went for an a different high carb energy bar - cookie and cream flavour, 400ml of a low GI / creatine mix and of course 250ml of "go go juice. I felt that I should have eaten some more but I just couldn't stomach it. Kate stayed with her malt loaf and "go go juice" and sampled a high carb bar for the first time. The hour once again passed quickly, although this time I was feeling stiff so I engaged in some mobilisation exercises which got my body going again. I was also feeling a bit sick which concerned me and I was worried that I hadn't taken enough fuel on board and that I should have force fed myself! Anyway hat - check; goggle - check - off we set, another 90 minutes up and down the pool with of course our beloved drag shorts which make the experience so much harder.....great!

Time went by slowly but we both felt strong and maintained the same stroke rate - so between 460 and 520 lengths later (Kate's faster than me!) and over 3000 calories we got out, showered, drove home and spent the rest of the day eating........this truly is the best thing about training for a channel swim!

No comments:

Post a Comment