Tuesday 26 April 2011

a quick dip at the seaside



What wonderful weather we've just had... and how better to spend the glorious bank holiday than a trip to the seaside.. well thats what I thought whilst traveling to Sunny Hunny!

We arrived at about 11 o clock and I decided I would brave the sea without a wetsuit, to sea if the cold showers we've been having had actually done any good...

I tried to hide my nerves as I strode into the icy water and just tried to keep calm and keep going .. I knew that if I stopped I would most likely chicken out.. so I kept going...

Then came the point where I had to submerge myself in the water and start swimming...

I have never felt anything like it.. cold isn't the word!a

I felt my breath being taken away from me and had to do a couple of breaststrokes to stop myself hyperventilating ... but once i'd got moving I settled into a nice rhythm. The strangest thing was feeling like I wasn't ever warming up.. even after 20 mins my hands and feet.. and my lips were cold. I decided to keep going for a bit then head back to shore before I got too cold and ran into any problems!

I landed back on the beach easily, and felt pretty pleased with myself... and then came The Shakes!... wrapped up in hat, scarf, gloves and tracksuit I was still shaking all over as my body tried to warm up.. it was just plain weird! Luckily I had read similar things online so was prepared (hence the packing of hat and gloves on the sunniest day of the year!) and after a few minutes my body calmed down and off we went for some chips!

All in all i'm pretty pleased with how it went, but now realise how much more cold water swimming we need to get in before the big day so that our bodies are as used to it as they can be!


No comments:

Post a Comment