Sunday 3 April 2011

The start of the big swims

So kate and I were back in the pool at 8.15 am Saturday morning to embark on the first of many long training swims. The purpose of these swims is to start the real toughening up process. We have to condition ourselves both mentally and physically for long tedious swimming and just as importantly work out our nutritional needs during our 1 hour rest periods.

So this session, to start us off was just 3 hours. An hour in the water, an hour rest and then back in the water for our final hour. And to be honest it wasn't as hideous as we expected - in true Just and Kate style "we just got on and did it". The first hour swimming seemed to drag on longer than the second and unsurprisingly the rest period felt like 15 minutes. However, we set a steady 4km an hour pace and maintained that for both hours so "tonk your locker" and bring on the channel!

During the rest period Kate entertained a banana sandwich, malt loaf and battery drink (commonly referred to as go go juice) and I went for a low GI and creatine 250ml shake, go go juice and a large carbohydrate power bar. Of course all of this accompanied by OK and Heat magazine. So when we both got back in the water for the second time, Kate felt a little stiff but very quickly got into her stroke and I felt empty - nothing in my locker. I was concerned as I thought I wouldn't make it through the hour but I calmed my nerves, focused on my stroke and all was good in the end. So I need to get my feeding right during rests and eat more - this is why these training swims are so important.

So 4 months to go - the mood is positive and the swimming is strong.

2 comments:

  1. I was just wondering why you took the hour break - then I remembered you were doing a relay. You should probably spend the time in between sitting on a rocking horse to get used to being sea sick :)
    Also, would it be worth experimenting with drinking a carbohydrate drink after 30 minutes so that you don't end each hour completely depleted?
    Best wishes
    Simon

    ReplyDelete
  2. good idea simon.. we will have to give it a whirl next time.. these long swims are ideal for experimenting with our fuel intake!

    ReplyDelete