Monday 9 May 2011

Open Water Training starts...

Friday saw me tentatively dipping my toe into the murky (and cold) waters of Holme Pierrepont for the first time this year!

I decided to go 'sans wetsuit' seeing as I need to start getting used to the cold water.. Justine will be doing the same on Wed night (unfortunately I have a hairdressers appointment lol!!)

I have no idea of the temperature on Friday, but luckily we were blessed with sunshine which always helps!... a real guess would be 12 degrees.. but I am not sure what I am basing that on!!

I tried to block out the other swimmers exclamations as to how cold it was as they were getting in ... in their wetsuits... and just did what I did in Hunstanton; got in and got on with it!! Its a very different mind set when you know you HAVE to do something in order to prepare for the big swim... there really is no backing out!

Anyways.. i lasted the full session which was probably about 50 / 55 mins and was ready to get out then!!... a warm shower and a hot choc.. and no shakes.. BRILLIANT!!! (if only they could put a hot tub / shower on the boat when we swim the channel then that would be ace!!)

I felt confident that I could get back in again another 5 times and do the whole thing again (which will be what I think we will have to do on the big day!) so all in all a good experience!

No comments:

Post a Comment